Friday, July 13, 2012

The Summer schedule

My Beauties

As the school year waned and summer blossomed, we set a schedule for the two "little ones". It was an attempt to give the girls something besides TV to fall back upon. So... one month into summer, how is it going?

The rule is: Do your school work, do your choirs, and the rest of the day is yours.

They do their school work. On which they are tested every Friday. They do the choirs I give them one or two each day: fold their clothes, wash the kitchen floor, vacuum the living room. And for the rest of the day, unless otherwise engaged outside the house, they are watching TV mostly.

I'm not them. I can't sit still enough to watch 3 movies back to back. They can, and I have to let them manage their time, as agreed upon.

One glimmer: My youngest asked me to form a book group with her. At bedtime, she is reading a Young Adult series on the Greek Gods. I put my own book club book aside to read about Hades. When she sees me reading, she smiles and says, "Isn't it good. I told you you would like it."

Honestly, its a fine YA book. But what I'm really looking forward to is our discussion time.

No comments: