Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Why do it?

A friend emailed and asked if I wanted to meet them at the Pub literally next door to have a beer and listen to the local Irish legends. My reply, "I can't. I'm boiling sap." I then invited them over after their brew and band fix to visit the shack. My final words were, "It's not that exciting." And as I stand here going on 5 hours with hours still to go... I find myself asking, why... Why do I do this? Eleven years of watching a pan boil; late evenings, predawn mornings. Why?

The only reason I can think of is, because I can. After all the effort, all the hours, all the watching, in the end there will be sweet maple syrup. I wonder if it will ever grow old. I wonder if or when we move to Main Street USA, will I miss it? Will I scour the weather channel for the prime sugaring temperatures? Will I return North to pitch in for a weekend or week with my brother and sister maple sugarmakers?

Only time will tell... Until then, or at least for tonight, I'm watching the pan.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Perhaps there is a symbiotic relationship between Mother Earth and human sustenance. The law of the harvest? Reaping what we sow. Quiet, solitude, hard, time consuming work that doesn't feel like work. A sense of community with the others in your tribe of sugar makers. A seasonal milestone, announcing the end of winter and the wonderful anticipation for spring.

Patty Hebert said...

I do know the season that we skipped because the shack was full of stained glass was unsettling... Life is calm and slowed down in the sugar shack.