Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Amish are Right

I've been following the CNN reports on the Amish school tragedy since it happened. Mostly in disbelief that anything so violent could happen in a school. Nevermind happening in an Amish school. Today four little girls were laid to rest. One more will join them tomorrow. And what do the Amish people do, they offer their support and sympathy to the killer's family. They have forgiven the man that killed their precious daughters.

Could I do that? Would I do that if such a horrible tradegy struck my family?

The Amish are right. They know holding onto anger darkens the soul, blackens the heart and removes all love and joy from life. These peace-filled people threw off their anger and offered forgiveness. They opened their hearts and extended their hands to help. They know that darkness cannot dwell in an open heart. Hatred does not fester in an open hand.

There is a lesson here. And on the prayers and souls of five little girls, perhaps it is a lesson we as outsiders to the Amish should embrace.

4 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

I had the same reaction as you, PtCakes. I was watching the news last night, and I was in awe of how forgiving the Amish are in the wake of such tragedy. And it's genuine, too! It doesn't come across as defiant or self-righteous. Definitely a MAJOR lesson to be learned there.

Anonymous said...

PTC,

I think you could try flogging this as a brief op-ed.

DawnApril said...

beautiful. brought tears to my eyes .

CMC said...

Fantastic!