Friday, February 15, 2008

Thoughts of Spring

Not to rush the maple sugaring season, (in one week we will tap our trees), but I'm having thoughts of spring. They settled upon my psyche when I opened the compost bin to offer our latest contribution from the kitchen. Inside that bin is the warmth and breath of our next garden. The great circle of life will reinitiate when that goodness brings on healthy germinations. Already I'm pondering what to plant. Corn for sure; tomatoes too, pepper, basil, maybe more gourds. Last year's crop are drying and almost ready for painting. It should be a fun project.

What about yellow squash? The kids couldn't get enough of it last year. Maybe some pumpkins too; it would be nice to grown our own.

Still with these thoughts I am delighted there is snow on the ground. Cold roots bring forth the sweetest sap. One week and we tap our trees. After that, I am ready for spring.

No comments: