Saturday, February 28, 2009

Boiling today

Today is the first boil of the season. I guess in some social circles that fact would be frowned upon. But here it is a day full of excitement and nervousness. Excitement because it's the first. The burner is lit, the fan is on, and sap is boiling. I breath in deep to catch the sweet scent of maple.

And nervous because this is sugaring season. It's a busy time; day and night, rain or shine, the buckets and the burner need to be tended. Of course not everyday, we are not a big operation. But when the boil is on, I truly have a hard time thinking about much else. That said, I will admit to having a ball of yarn and a crochet hook in my pocket, for in the shack quiet I am working on a baby hat. I do a few rows and then check the pan level and add more sap.

Balance.

No comments: