Saturday, March 05, 2011

A Quote

"One good thing about maple sugar season is that it's so short we never stand the chance of getting sick of it."
- Burr Morse, seventh-generation maple sugar maker from East Montpelier.

I had the pleasure of meeting Burr four years ago. We were up in God's country for a family gathering and his Maple Heaven was not too far from our route. My being new to the art, we spoke of all things maple. And as our conversation ended Burr extended an invitation to come up when their evaporator is running full swing.

My reply,"I can't. For I will have a pan of my own to watch and tend." It's true. Once the taps are in, sugarmakers don't venture too far from their pan.

Since that first meeting we have chatted via email, are friends on facebook, and I did get back for another visit this past summer. We swung in again off the path to another family gathering, just so I could see the Morse Farm new evaporator. It's a beauty; as big as my entire sugar shack and shiny, shiny silver. I know it will produce Vermont's finest.
Feel free to stop by and take the tour.

Tell them Patty sent you.


No comments: