Sunday, September 11, 2016

Ghost Bike

A Ghost Bike is dedicated to a rider who died on the road. Eugene Thornberg died on June 16, 2016 on this stretch of road.  A stretch I ride frequently.  For when I heard about this dedication I knew where it was being held and how to get there without a map.  Been there.  Ridden that.  Knew I had to attend, even though I didn't know him.  He was a cyclist.  

Heading there, by bike, of course, I rode the usual route. And as I past my friend's parents' home on Landham I noticed her car was in the driveway.  Two years ago she moved to New Hampshire.  I stopped. A quick chat. Two or three hugs and I was off, I had to.  Two miles more there was a cyclist stopped on the road. She was standing over a huge snapping turtle. I stopped.  And we try to move the huge beast to the side of the road with some branches.   Making some progress but meeting resistance from our new 20 pound friend a landscaper stops and a soccer family stops.  And with the landscaper's shovel and the branches we were able to move the snapper into the swamp next to the road.  I rode on.  Now pressed for time.  Knowing that I was heading for a solemn service, but celebrating life along the way. 

Ride safe.



Help me wipe out cancer. http://profile.pmc.org/PH0134
Thank you,
Patty

No comments: