Sunday, April 05, 2009

Art shows it all


We went to a local art gallery for a free art day today. One project was to create a collage in the shape of the person. The one on the left is my creation. The other is that of my middle one. As we were leaving and I was carrying both I noted that our art truly shows our personality: for better or for worse.

My lovelie's collage has depth, texture, multimedia. Mine, on the 180 degree other hand, though colorful with some interesting areas, is rigid and regular; sharp, pointy and defined. As I drove home I realized that is exactly how I mother; for better or for worse. A schedule is set and I work to meet it. A place for everything and everything in its place. Does that come from managing a house of five -- all going in different directions?

Now that doesn't mean we don't have fun. After all we went to the museum today and yesterday we went to an open house at a local artist studio collaborative, Brownies and then to Grandma's.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. Some people need structure and others thrive meandering through life. I do think it's important recognize, acknowledge, and embrace differences.

1 comment:

Tammy H. said...

I think that us mothers need the order. Family life is chaotic enough, if we didn't attempt to create order, where would we be?
PS - Nice work.