Saturday, February 05, 2011

What is it with love?

I love you like...
...a chicken.

I love you more...
...than life itself.

I could squeeze you like...
...a tube of toothpaste.

Chicken pot pie, love chicken, bumba, chick pea, squidlo...

My children hear it all; all of them -- even the one old enough to roll her eyes; but she doesn't.

The other day we were chatting on the phone, reviewing scholarship deadlines and I asked her, "Anything else?" And she said, "Yeah Mom, I love you."

And I replied, "I love you too."

I could kiss her like there is no tomorrow. And I tell them that too.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Makes everything worth it, it would seem, when you hear those words.

P.H. said...

What is interesting is the role reversal. Usually I'm the one saying first, "I love you." And my daughters say/text, "I love you too."

So -- is this the start of the parent child reversal of roles.

It is a great treat to watch my oldest emerging as an adult.