Monday, February 06, 2006

Dark Days

I haven't written a single word for days and the forecast is marginal for sugaring. We have 11 gallons of sap, maybe a smidge more, from one day. Not a bad yield but 30 gallons makes for a good boil. If the temperatures don't return to the 40's I'll lose the taps. But if the temperatures stay cooler the harvested sap will stay fresher for the Saturday boil. You choose.

I need to remind myself that this is just a hobby. It's okay if I have to re-tap. And to boot I have a leaky bucket and the new buckets won't be here until Friday.

It's just a hobby.

Word count 110

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you I finally understand that my maple tree is not ill, it simply wants to get rid of its sap.

P.H. said...

Are you collecting it?

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to. Can I just put a pot underneath the drip?

I don't know that it's dripping hard enough now to make it worthwhile.

P.H. said...

Yes, you can collect it is a pan, pot, bucket, whatever. And yes again, the flow has slowed way down due to the cold weather. And if my guess is right, it turned cold simply because we tapped our trees. If we hadn't tapped, it would still be warm out. Just blame us.