Friday, December 01, 2006

Eventually They Get Caught

I always tell my children that they don't have to tattle, (unless it's dangerous or distructive). I will catch on. I may be getting old, but I haven't lost all of my faculties, yet.

I have a noneater. From the moment that lovely child came into this world, she refused to eat. Trust me on this one. I was there. And to this day, she is still a noneater. Generally, she sits at the table long after everyone has finished dessert, the dishes cleared and our evening lives are on a roll. And eventually she shows up at my side, all smiles, asking for dessert and proclaiming,"I've eaten all my dinner!" A few times I questioned her, "Really, you ate it all?" Her answer was always the same. A beaming smile and a good firm multi nod of the head. Dessert would follow.

Last night, night two of the chili, the wailing and nashing of teeth were at an all time high. There were pieces of tomato in close proximity. The rest of us finished our bowls of the world's most wonderful bean and meat, laced with offending fruit, concoction, and those who weren't still trying to loose the required 5 plus pounds of Thanksgiving weight had dessert. Dishes were cleared. She sat. The homework was resumed. She cried. Practice testing for the Social Studies test on Islam was in full swing in the living room, when the distinct sound of scraping a spoon against a bowl could be heard ringing in from the kitchen. I looked to my oldest, "Please go in there and just look."

Three seconds later, (it's a small house), she was back. She said nothing.

"Did she scrape it into the trash?" I asked. I knew the answer, but I was hoping for a miracle here.

Ria just gave me one solemn barely detectable nod. Remember she's the oldest, she knew what was going to happen next.

I walked into the kitchen where my little eating wonder was sitting at the table with the empty bowl in front of her. I asked, "Did you eat?"

I got all smiles.

"Are you sure?"

Smiles, again.

I looked into the trash bin. Hidden under some paper towels and other debris was her three tablespoons of chili.

Up to bed was all I said. Tears followed, with the dragging of feet.

Tonight's dinner is a Cape Cod Christmas Clam Pie, another almost complete family favorite. Along with squash and salad...

Any bets?

3 comments:

Laura said...

yum -- i want to start eating at your house.

@}-->--
Laura

Ms. Zuba said...

Wow...that is a joy I don't think I will have to ever experience...as Lauren eats almost everything and anything. Knock on wood.....

Anonymous said...

my brother used to hide his hotdogs in the pedestal of the kitchen table. one day my mother noticed the dog sniffing around...