Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Lure of the Christmas Cookie


Given the normal day in day out stresses, I can be at home with 40 fundraiser-oversized candy bars and not be drawn to the cabinet. I can overlook Wheat Thins, Yo-Gos, 10 pounds of chocolate chips (waiting to be melted into fudge), and Harry and David confections stashed in the freezer for emergencies. But leave a plate of assorted Christmas cookies on the counter and there is no hope for their survival.

There is something about Christmas cookies that shotguns all my willpower sensibilities. Yesterday, while working away on the parish directory (11 pages -- preformatted), I ate more cookies than I care to admit. By God, were they good. Especially the 7 layer cookies, and the chocolate peanutbutter fudge. Then there was the chocolate cherry cookie that was so soft, it melted into flavorful splendor the minute I laid it upon my tongue.

To save myself, and in an attempt to be giving and sharing, I put several of the cookies in the girls' lunches. They had the same responses when they returned from school.

"Mom, where did you get those cookies?" asked one.

"From the lady heading up the parish directory project."

"You have to do MORE work for her."

I had to agree.

The next daughter made a list of all the recipes she wanted me to have. And luck would have it, I had to talk with the "Church Lady" about a formatting issue. She was pleased to hear the cookies were a hit. (How could they not be?) And will get the recipes to me. It will probably be an exchange of sorts, one recipe for each formatted directory page.

I think me and mine are getting the better end of this deal.

2 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

I LOVE this post, and I love this line in particular: "There is something about Christmas cookies that shotguns all my willpower sensibilities."

Love the use of "shotgun" as a verb. Those cookies sound yummy.

Anonymous said...

I loved the same line!

I'm hungry...