Friday, December 29, 2006

Justice or Ill Will?

Last night while I was reading the news on CNN I was saddened when I read that Saddam Hussein is to be hung sometime over this weekend. Sometime during the last moments of 2006. As if his death will bring about new hope for 2007. And I'm saddened by this.

Believe me I don't condone his administration, nor his leadership. My heart goes out to the hundreds of thousands of people that he had tortured and murdered. I pray that the war in Iraq will come to a peaceful resolution. And I know I'm praying for a miracle. But still, I pray.

And I have questions: Will his death bring them back? Will his death serve as some justice, or will it blacken our collective soul?

A long time ago the law was an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Then a new law to turn the other cheek was suggested. I think it is for the better of us all to follow this newer way of thinking in backyard or worldwide skirmishes. As the Amish did when their children were murdered, so should the world.

I'm not suggesting we allow people to continue their line of torture or deceit. But is it right to impose the same wickness of which they are accused? These wicked acts, like a cancer eat at our soul. Making it hard to breathe and see the goodness around us. Can we teach our children to behave any better than this if we don't set an example?

In the movie Scrooge, when Jacob Marley pays Scrooge a visit he is draped in the heavy chain he forged in life. A chain built upon the ill will he showed his fellow man/woman while he walked the earth. There is a lot to be said by that chain. And I wonder about our own. My own.

My eldest daughter says I am liberal in our line of faith. I tell her that I am hopeful. Hopeful that despite my faults and failings that when it is my time to face the Maker, there will be love in His eyes. That by being accepting, forgiving and holding no ill will that my soul won't be darkened by hate.

So for Saddam Hussein, for the Iraqi people, for our soldiers, and for the people of whole world I pray for you. May our Maker be with us all.

3 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

I thought of your post all day yesterday, but especially around 10:20 last night when the news broke in saying the deed was done.

I don't know what else to say...but your post still has me thinking.

P.H. said...

I just wonder when enough violence is enough. I wonder if something terrible happened to my family if I would be able to turn the other cheek. I think Jacob Marley was right. I don't think that violence is a way to stop violence.

FC -- thanks for your comment.

Laura said...

I'm really with you on this... it's a very sobering circumstance. blogged about it today.

hearts,
Laura
@}-->--