Sunday, March 18, 2007

"I wanted to send you a cake."

Two weeks ago the UPS man graced my doorstep with a package. I hadn't ordered anything, but it was addressed to me. Inside was the cookbook, Beautiful Breads & Fabulous Fillings. Without looking at the invoice I knew it was from my old time, elementary, and junior high school, friend -- Ruthless. I smiled.

We were an unlikely pair. She was always the tallest and biggest girl in the class. Although not tiny, I was one of the smallest. Our houses were not close to eachother, so when we'd walk home from school we'd walk a middle route. Just so we'd have more time together. On occasion her grandparents drove us to school in the back of their pick up truck. Ruthless and I rode shotgun; hanging out over the open bed. Bouncing about and laughing; the good old days. When we played tackle football in my backyard, (boys against the girls), she was my grid-iron protection, while I nervously executed the quarterback dance behind her. And it was at that first game after her family moved to Arkansas that I got sacked, for the first time. My knee twisted, torn cartilage, torn ligaments and a goodly amount of water on the knee. It was the end of a glorious career, and I thought due to distance, the end of our friendship.

Then five years ago, through Classmates.com, Ruthless sent me an email. "Remember me?" Of course I did. How could I forget my entire offensive line? Since then, at least once a week there is an email exchange. Checking in on family, work, passing on lastest and greatest recipes we've fed our families, and the success or lack there of, of our latest dieting attempts. Last fall, we found out we were both going for our motorcycle licence. Two friends, separated by time and a thousand miles -- breaking into the biking world together. No planning... it just happened.

We've been there for eachother, despite the miles. An email brought the horrible news of her son's death. Through many emails I sent my prayers and blessings. Emails announced the birth of the little ones. Gifts soon followed. However, despite being in touch electronically, we have yet to meet; have that cup of coffee. Though there were several close calls, when illness or weather canceled vacation plans. I still have hope.

In the mean time we send packages. Heading south is maple syrup, Stella D'oro delights, Christos salad dressing, Girl Scout cookies, Mountain Man treats, and Cains mayonaise. Heading north -- unbelievably great honey, local artistan candles, homemade cookies, and fudge.

After checking out the cookbook, I sent off an email of thanks. "It's one of the most beautiful and interesting cookbooks I have ever seen. Thanks."

Her reply, "I wanted to send you the Two-Ton Bittersweet Chocolate Fudge Cake on page 243 and this seemed the easiest way to get in to you."

Ruthless, like you, the cake is priceless. Thank you.

3 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Great friendship, great post.

I'm really loving these heart-felt writings, PtCakes.

Anonymous said...

You said it, fatcharlatan! I enjoyed this one very much! PrajnaD

DawnApril said...

very nice Pt cakes.