Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Disney World

In my whole life I have ever seen so many people enjoying themselves and at the same time saw or heard so many children crying or whining, or parents sighing with exasparation. Staring ahead blindly wondering if all the money they're spending is worth it. Disney is a place of magic and stress. And it's unbelievable.

We arrived last Sunday after a non-nights sleep. Would our flight be grounded due to the storm? Thankfully after waiting in extensive lines for check in, we just made it out. (JetBlue could take a lesson from Disney on moving large numbers of people quickly, and happily.) But flying over or through the storm was rather bumpy. Insuring the fasten seat belt sign stayed illuminated for the majority of the 2.5 hour flight. The kids didn't seem to mind. But I kept wondering if I ventured into that little space they call a bathroom whether I would be shaken up like a joy ride in a spray can. (BigMama's image stayed with me for the entire flight.)

It took us 4 hours to go from deplaning to walking into our room at Animal Kingdom Lodge. And no we didn't wait for our luggage. Disney was handling that. That was the line waiting to get on the bus to Disney, the ride to Animal Kindgom Lodge from the airport, and the check in line. My nerves were frayed, and the vacation hadn't even started. Thank God the children were being good.

First night we opted to go to Magic Kingdom. I am not myself in crowds, so I figured better get the first immersion over with. As we walked down Main Street I was faced with a solid sea of bodies against the back drop of the most magical castle in the world. Still I am amazed by the thought of that many bodies all moving (pretty much) in the same direction; towards the same castle. We moved with them.

But the castle wasn't our goal, Space Mountain was. So, at the center circle, we veered off to the right and that is when I heard that first child crying. It was my own middle one. "MOMMY don't go on Space Mountain. Stay here with me." No I wasn't going to leave her alone, Nana and Grandpa were there. Mift I waved the rest of the family on ahead and then sat with the child. Who, of course, didn't want to be with me after all. We waited, and waited, and waited. There was no line outside of Space Mountain but the internal line was huge, and only one side of the ride was functioning. This turned out to be the longest line we encountered the whole six days. As I said before, Disney is the premier master of managing crowds.

The next day was The Return to Space Mountain. With side trips down Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain. The middle one was more agreeable to going on the rides. But I had to be with her. As we crisscrossed the park repeatedly, I wished for a pedometer. There is no way anyone doing Disney could gain weight. We must've walked ten miles if we walked one. And as that afternoon curled around the moon, the crying and dragging of feet became the mantra around me. Fatigued parental faces, not knowing what to do when their charges were refusing to take another step, or ride another ride, or get back into the stroller, or leave their sister alone, surrounded me. And the craziness of being in such a wonderful place and having that same place be the root of so much happiness and stress hit home. I found myself in a bit of a shock. I was unprepared for these turn of mood events. But it would stand to reason. Doing Disney means you are going to get very over tired.

As the week passed, our family too, experienced it's own stress-filled moments. I don't think anyone is immune. And at several times I wondered, if at the end of our trip, would I remember the good times or the bad. The wonderful eligant French meal in Epcot, or the not so good flat bread pizza for dinner at the ungodly hour of 11 PM. The firework cruise or the tantrums. The safari dinner or the huge expense to keep a family hydrated in the heat. The Breakfast with Mickey and friends or the hitting. La Cirque du Soleil or the fact the bus system was running so late we missed our final dinner reservation with the rest of our family in Downtown Disney. As we got on the plane to come home I still wondered what I would say when anyone asked, "How was your trip?"

And now, after a day of resting and laundry, and another day of quiet and raking, when asked how was your trip? I have heard myself say on more than one occassion, "It was great!"

Would I go back again? Sure. And I'd even take the kids. Disney is a magical place. It would have to be.

Everest, rest assured, we'll be back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty,
I'm only just now reading your wonderful comments on Disney. I too feel that the good came with the bad and I remember both clearly. I do think though that it is a trip I'll always cherish and so will the kids. Thanks for the smiles, Patty.
Hopefully still...The jewel of....