Saturday, April 14, 2007

I had a dream

I was driving past my grandparents' house and decided to stop in, unannounced. When I pulled up in the driveway, someone else's car was there. As I walked by, I realized it was the priest's. I wasn't surprised. My grandparents were devoted Catholics. Still, for some reason I got the sense that I didn't know if my grandfather was home, until I walked into the garage and saw boots and shoes lying to the side on the mud rug.

I can't remember if I took my shoes off, but I remember slowing down as I approached the kitchen door. Once I was inside, I heard noises. And wandered through the house until I found the priest in the living room and my grandfather walking down the hall carrying a box of my nana's religious items.

He said, "I'm having the priest unbless some of Nana's things."

Strange, I thought. Why would he have that done? But I didn't have an opportunity to ask him. For when he got within arms reach I hugged him tightly and crying, kept repeating, "I've missed you so much."

I remember him smiling and feeling him hugging me back. And then I woke up.

The room was dark. The house quiet. I wondered if he was here. Just beyond my sight, smiling.

I still miss him, and Nana.

1 comment:

Ms. Zuba said...

Those are the dreams that let you know they ar still with you. Cherish it.