Sunday, April 01, 2007

Nineteen Minutes

I recently finished a marathon, can't put this book down, read of Jodi Picoult's latest book, Nineteen Minutes. At first, I didn't like it. Her trademark style is to jump around among characters, time, and point of view. Within the first few chapters, I found myself in a tornado of confusion. But I've loved her stuff in the past, even wished for her talent and success, so I pushed on.

As usual, it was wonderful, very thought provoking and made me sit up and view my surroundings. Without giving too much away, the book tackles the concept of bullying. And what exactly could a bully do when faced with daily brutal harassment? In a word, tradegy.

Sometimes I see interactions between the children at the local schools, and I wonder just how far these little altercations will go. Usually not too far before some adult steps in reminding the cherubs to use their words and not to hurt other people's feelings. And thankfully the parties go their separate ways, and that's the end of it.

Personally I don't understand the need to bully. There sure was plenty of it going on when I was growing up. My two siblings were singled out as targets and for some reason I was spared. Maybe it had to do with the fact I beat up two rather large girls when they were going after my sister. Maybe it was because I didn't let their name calling get to me. Even answering to their Big Bird remarks. Who knows.

What I do know is bullying, back then and now, is absolutely wrong. And when someone is bullied there is a slow fuse that starts to burn and eventually it will run out and when it does, we have no right to ask why. All it will take is nineteen minutes.

Ms. Picoult, thank you. Every parent, every teenage and older student, every educator should read Nineteen Minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why did they call you Big Bird?