Tuesday, April 05, 2011

How does their garden grow?


I have such high hopes and aspirations for my children. Exposing them to faith filled experiences, community service projects, the arts, outside activities, music, foreign languages. All the while, waiting for their own passions to ignite. It's like watching and waiting for a flower bloom. And bloom they will, but in their own time, not anyone else's.

I have a Night Blooming Cereus plant. I've had it for over 20 years. The last time it bloomed was 3 years ago: the night before we went to World Youth Day in July of 2008. One fragrant bloom, for one night -- and the time before that was at least ten years previous. Despite having to get on an early plane I sat up, outside and watched the bloom open for hours. Seemingly photographing every petal expansion.

2 comments:

Tammy H. said...

beautiful pictures, great analogy

jeff noel said...

Miraculous.