Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dreamweaver.... I believe you will get me through the night.

I have a funny story. If you're a regular reader, you know I'm loving my day job. No question. But, my last truly gainful (whatever that means) employment was as a Quality Assurance Engineer. (big words) So, when a friend posted a QA opportunity right here in our hometown, I sat at this computer, staring at my resume. Should I send it; shouldn't I? In the end. I hit the send key.

Not that I'm looking. Not that I want to leave my current job. But just to see. Testing the QA testing waters so to speak. Maybe my old coworker would want a part-timer? Nights, weekends during crunch times.

This weekend, while discussing my problem with another longtime computer friend, he suggested I work for him. Some web design stuff, from home, in the evenings. Just enough tickling of the keyboard to keep the old brain cell turning over.

Really? Web design... I used to manage the church's site, and developed sites 18 years ago when the web was new, and up and coming. When all the coding was done through tags and not via design programs, like Dreamweaver.

Next question: Do you know Dreamweaver?
Next answer: No.

Get it.
And I did. At first my head was spinning. Learning without a printed manual, (old school) is challenging. I seriously wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew... Scared, I resolved to go down failing, refusing to quit. Telling myself, "Give it a go... You can't help but learn."

So, two nights into my new gig and I'm loving online how-to videos and widgets. WOW! The coding power right at my fingertips. Who knew. Want to know the weather in Seattle? The latitude and longitude of Plymouth, MA? :-)

3 comments:

jeff noel said...

Go!
PS. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Girl!!! It is part of who you are....love, m

Tammy H. said...

Sounds like you're having fun!