Thursday, April 13, 2006

Holy Week

It's Holy Week. This is the big one, the reason for the faith. If you only go to church once a year this is the time to go. And wouldn't you know it, they have services tonight, tomorrow, Saturday evening (complete with candles and dripping wax), and then the big Easter Sunday. Come to one, come to them all. It's a festive celebration.

My middle one wants to go tonight. It will be her first Holy Thursday. I'm kind of excited about taking her. She is receiving her First Communion this year so celebrating the Last Supper is a big deal. I will try to hold my expectations in check. After all this is the child that hates church -- go figure. But when I've said to her, "If you don't stop tormenting your sister, I won't take you tonight," the tormenting stops. I wonder if I can use that line all year? Something to consider.

Another thing to consider is The Body. I suggest that every faith-based in Jesus believing person should watch this film. And to cut to the punch, it is a modern day film about the discovery of a crucified body found in a rich man's tomb. And the tomb dates back to the time of Christ. So my big questions, and the questions this film raises are, What if this is/was Jesus? What would this discovery do to your faith?

Being that I've posed these questions, I've had tons of time to think about my answers. Would my faith really change? Would I change? (page down for the spoiler)















Would I change? Would my faith change? I don't think so. In my mind, whether he is the Son of God or not, Jesus was a shining example of how we should treat eachother. According to the bible, he loved everyone, and was not judgemental. Shouldn't this be what we teach our own children? And then, shouldn't our church do the same?

Whatever your faith, belief system, life philosophy, have a wonderful week and may you find celebration in whatever you do.

2 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Nice, heart-felt post. And you're right on about Jesus and his teachings. I have a dear friend--in his 60s--who is a non-believer. However, he is an historian, and he believes in Jesus' existence and admires his peaceful and compassionate ways.

You told me about the movie a few months back...I haven't seen it yet, but I've thought a lot about the film's premise. I agree with you--it wouldn't change the way I try to live my life. Jesus is a shining example of compassion and humility.

Can't wait to see you and your middle one tonight...you ARE reaching her...she might outwardly complain about going to church, but something is registering inside her soul. That's a good thing!

Ms. Zuba said...

I am one of those twice a year Catholics...Christmas and Easter. This morning during the Easter mass, surrounded by little girls in bonnets, I started to cry. I don't know why...but I teared up the last time I went to church as well...and I thought to myself, that maybe it was precisely what I needed to remind me that we are all vulnerable, and it's okay.