Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I'll let you in on a secret


All I want for Christmas is a leg lamp. (Is it too early to start a Chrsitmas list?)

It's strange, I know. But it's true. And I'm just as puzzled as you are about this. It's not like my camera, which has now taken just about 14,000 shots, or trusty mixer that has stood the test of time and survived a divorce. It's a lamp in the shape of a woman's leg with fish net stockings. Something I would never wear, in public.

Could it be that the lamp represents a dream? A prize long sought, after a hard working life. It's not much, but in the movie, A Christmas Story, it is a validation for one man's life.

I hope my reasons are not so deep. I look around at my children, my family, my five Boston Globe articles, my completed book, my Girl Scout troop, and wonderful friends and know that my life is good. No stamp or major award required. Still I seek the leg. And as I type this I suspect the lamp represents a timelessness of family struggle followed by quiet success. That despite life's furnace problems, playground bullies, turkey stealing dogs, secret decoder rings that don't stand up to snuff, and a near miss with shooting one's eye out, in the quiet of the night, with or without a leg lamp in the window, there is love.

Still, if Santa should grace our humble hearth with this much sought after lamp, rest assured I'm not crazy, when you see me standing across the street from my house loudly exclaiming, "You should see it from out here!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seem to be doing a good job of writing through your feeling that you lack inspiration (which I don't agree with, by the way).

Keep up the good work -- and thanks for your encouragement!