Thursday, May 08, 2008

24 Hours Fever-free

Our school has the policy that a child must be fever-free for 24 hours before they can return to school. So, yesterday at 9 AM, I checked the sick one's temp, and it was minimal at best. I held out hope. Maybe, just maybe, tomorrow (now today) life would return to normal, I'd get swimming, finish my interviews for my article, and the fish tank would clear, all the while, all my children would attend school.

This won't be the case.

Late yesterday afternoon the fever rared its ugly thermometer, and I found myself uttering the words, "You're home tomorrow. You could dance a wild jig, and still you would be home."

Of course, by bedtime there were jigs being laid down on just about every flat floor surface. Still there will be two at home today. Of course, we won't be home. Weather permitting, we'll get out for a walk, maybe go for a swim at Open Swim (technically afterschool), and we might even do some visiting. It's an early release today. It's a gift of a few hours of being the two of us, as dictated by the school department.

And this will all shift to Friday, if she wakes up with a fever.

No comments: