Monday, November 10, 2008

As the plate clears

We have two compost barrels. One that has been filled and is composting and one that we add to. Composting household vegetable waste matter is easy. You generate waste. You collect the waste in a bucket on your kitchen counter. Daily, you carry the waste to the barrel in the backyard. You generate good stuff for the garden. Simple. But not so simple when your juggling too many tasks. For the past month I just couldn't get the waste to the backyard. No. we don't have a 55 gallon drum of refused carrot tops and squash peelings in the kitchen. Instead of composting I was tossing them out. It was the one job I could push away.

But after this weekend, my plate is a bit clearer. I breathed a sigh of relief, and noticed that I set aside the pepper tops and onion skins from preparing yesterday's dinner. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened. But this morning, I noticed the bucket and was okay with making a run to the bins outside. A month ago, seeing the waiting refuse would have caused my eyes to roll up into the back of my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm big on composting, too. We're topping off both of our compost bins with leaves at this time of year.