Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I chose Us

In the movie Family Man Jack Campbell is given a glimpse of what his life could've been if he made different choices. At the end of the glimpse, he realizes his errors and pursues his love, issuing forth the memorable line, "I chose us."

In a similar vain, last summer I was all over the map and running in three different directions. The garden became a 24 hour buffet for ground hogs and chipmunks. The flower beds transformed into weed breeding grounds. And house projects remained undone. The garage paint job still resembles something in the line of urban camouflage.

Well this summer I am focusing on the household: family, yard, gardens, house and garage. Believe me there is enough work here to keep my nose to the grindstone 24/7.

In the few short weeks since I set my sights as close to home and heart as possible, I've seen the tide shifting. The garden fence is reinforced. The peas, corn, beans, cilantro, beets, and lettuce have all germinated without becoming someone's appetizer. The transplanted grass is taking hold in the balding areas of the lawn and the flower beds have a bit more order. The operative word that makes that last statement correct is a little bit... With each weed that gets pulled my mantra is, "One pulled weed closer to looking like this house isn't abandoned."

One of the school moms jogged by this afternoon while I was knee deep in weeds. Her quick comment, "That is constant work isn't it?"

I nodded.

"It looks great."

I knew she was just making nice... The path between the flowers could be mowed for hay.

This summer I chose us.

2 comments:

Amara said...

Fight the good fight! Though I try to consider weeds as "habitat". That way its ecologically friendly to have weeds running a muck!

Tammy H. said...

Awesome outlook. Good luck with the summer projects - I am attempting something of the same. The garden always seems to get away from me, despite my great intentions. Enjoy the summer!