Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Those Guppies Weren't Meant for Eating

I know they were labeled feeder guppies at the pet store. But they weren't supposed to be someone's lunch.

We had always had guppies in our tank, before Pleco. Pleco came and our entire guppy population disappeared. I researched the dietary habits of the plecostomus. They eat algae. Last I knew smallish guppies don't stick to the sides of tanks.

There are other fish in our tank besides the beast. There are four healthy platys and old man tetra. I've watched the tetra chase down a young guppy, so I know he could have nabbed a few niblets here and there, but to take our all ten newbies. All ten that were not really on the small side. I thought we had a chance at repopulation.

Instead, I feel horrible. The image I have is of being hunched over, and filthy. Luring innocent fish to their death, mumbling something about a glorious long life in a 20 gallon long, complete with fake plants and a sunken ship.

Ignore the 12 inch Pleco lurking behind the rocks.

Yeah right.

No comments: