Friday, May 15, 2009

These shoes were made for walking

At a recent high school track event I laughed when I read the quote on the back of an opposing team's shirt. "My shoes have more miles than your car." For that is how I feel about my Tevas; my footwear of choice, from mid April to early November. During the cooler months they accent flamboyant handmade wool socks, and play a supporting role to wildly painted toenails May through September. I strap them on before heading out to school, church, the garden, the beach, fishing, vacationing in Colorado, Florida, Vermont or New Hampshire, on pilgrimage or for a neighborhood jaunt. The shoes fall next to my bed at night and the are on my feet first thing in the morning.

Last year they carried me for unnumbered miles between home and Australia. Never rubbing; velcro tight, always comfortable.

Though last November, when cold weather finally l forced me to put them away I had a nervous pang upon noticing that the tread was worn flat. What if I had to replace these old friends? Could I bring myself to toss them out with yesterday's non recyclables? I felt like a traitor. How could I do such a despicable thing after all the miles we've walked together? Instead I tucked them into their winter home, banishing the thought.

Now with the warming weather it's Teva time again and as I pulled old faithful out of their winter home the question about having to replace them flashed through my mind again. A miracle hadn't occurred. The tread is still worn, still I put them on over my pink woolies with the idea that I would try them out. If the footing felt unsure, then the decision would be made.

For weeks now I have been wearing them. They are the first shoes in the morning. The shoes that take the early morning wet grass as I walk out to the garden. The shoes that walk the 5 mile neighborhood loop. The shoes that trudge the grocery store aisles and then stroll out to dinner. The shoes that sit next to my bed at night, waiting to be scooped up again in the morning; not bad for an old shoe.

I truly believe that my shoes have more miles than your car.

2 comments:

Tammy H. said...

I know how you feel. I am not one of those women that easily trades off pairs of shoes. I find one and I stick with it. It is my all-purpose, and like old friends, they are difficult to part with. I hope you get another season from them.

Laura said...

I'm so going to get a pair for my travels. They have them at REI.