Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Glass Quilt

All you need is love... ba, ba, ba, ba, baaaaah... (Beattle's style)

The self imposed criteria for the next stained glass project was I could not buy any glass. That it had to be made up of the scrap glass from previous projects. And why not add to the fun, by having the scouts join me with projects of their own.

So last week, the scouts designed their pieces and picked out the glass they will need from my many scrap boxes. There were lessons on what makes a doable design. Advice to keep their lines straight and to handle the glass with extreme caution; it's razor sharp. After the meeting, I pulled out a quilting book, then picked through their reject pile, looking for a few pieces for my own work.

After the last three complicated windows, I wanted simple; no curves. And had been toying with making quilt squares. The beauty with working with squares is they fit together many many ways. After laying out a few designs letters emerged. L O V -- with a funky E.

The glass is not set in stone. Before the soldering, I can rearrange, shift, adjust the pieces. This morning I was thinking the O is too obvious... maybe I will change it to balance the funky E.

It's a process, therapy on the cutting edge.

No comments: