Saturday, November 20, 2010

"I hate CCD."

I overheard that yesterday, "I hate CCD;" from a scout, my daughter's friend, one of my own students -- all in the same person. It's kind of tough when the circles are so intertwined. But it is interesting too, for it gave me fuel for my next class material fire.

This year my class is on a pilgrimage. A journey to go deeper into ourselves and our faith. First we answered the question, "WHO AM I?" The answers came back: I am a girl, a boy, blonde, brown haired, smart, outgoing, shy, a son, a daughter, a mom (that's me). But then I asked, "What else are you?" And the answers came back: I'm a hockey player, softball player, Mexican, Italian, half Jewish."

We then watched this Skit Guys video called God's Chisel. Sure there is a touch of religion involved, it is religious ed after all, but there is that whole piece of finding out we are all made by God. That we aren't junk, but instead unique creations, and loved.

And we're on a pilgrimage. Each class we watch a little bit more of the video from Outside Da Box called Souly Walking. Two guys walking across America, on pilgrimage, to promote prayer in our youth. And it's hard. Jon falls, hurts his knee; can't walk. But finds a way to go on. It's not always easy. It's not a vacation; it's a pilgrimage.

Next class: It's more of Jon and Jesse walking across America, but it's more when we check out this clip: What is a Pilgrimage?

Followed by "What is Our Creed? and the students tracing their feet, both of them. On the first cut out they will finish the sentence: I don't like CFF because it is...

And on the second: When I walk in the footsteps of Jesus I feel...

And if time, maybe some quiet meditation -- all part of our pilgrimage in religious ed. this year.

No comments: