Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Years

New Years, wouldn't be New Years without visiting friends and family in Vermont. The icing on the cake was a quick trip out to the Shack... Mind you, despite having no electricity, heat, or water, we do have a few over wintering guests. I don't imagine, come Spring, they will be willing to wash the dishes they are currently sleeping in... probably not. Still I am looking forward to summer's lazy days of fishing and kayaking, and leisure walks around the lake.

For the last three years, if not more, New Years has been a day for taking a photo walk. Today's weather was perfect for it. Warm, scary sap running warm, and sunny. I wondered with my brother in law as we walked through town, "Do you think the sap is running?" We looked at each other and agreed it was. But who would tap their trees on New Years? Here's hoping for a deep cold snap and gradual warming come the end of February into March.

This old Thunderbird is a photographer's dream. Crushed by a tree, years ago, it has been left to rust by the side of the road.



I've photographed this post, standing outside of a very nice Vermont made gift store, at least three times before. I love the rust coloration and the texture. Hmmm... rust...

Can you read the sign? Click on the image to enlarge it. As many times as I have drive these roads, and walked through town, I had never seen it before. It's amazing what you will see when you slow down. And it is even more amazing what you will find when you are looking through a camera.

Still, photographing lights at night is bug I can't beat.

No comments: