Monday, January 24, 2011

What you give and what you get

This weekend was a nonstop parade of commitments. Meditation, breakfast set up, funeral, altar serving, retreat meeting, parish breakfast and religious ed. Even before the itinerary check off commenced, I was already tired and feeling stretched to snapping. How did I get myself so involved? Why? Was I crazy?

But then, it happened. As the days progressed I realized that I wasn't the one being pulled and used. I was the one on the receiving end -- every time.
I was the one to revel in the enthusiasm of the parish activities committee as they tirelessly worked on our first breakfast of the year.
I was the one who heard the eulogy stating that I had inherited a piece of John Dillon's love for his community.
I was the one who felt the meditative peace of being placed in God's hands.
I was the one who smiled when the newest altar server swung his robe ties like a double dutch jump rope. Such innocents.
I was the one who got to once again ask my students,"Who are you?" And I delighted in their answers.

Was I crazy? No I was lucky.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Brilliant. For it is in giving that we receive.

P.H. said...

"For it is in giving that we receive." One of my favorite mantras.