Saturday, July 07, 2007

Kids will be kids?

While reading the news at CNN.com the other day, I viewed a video about two preteens that kidnapped a toddler from its crib and left a ransom note for $200,000. Their stepfather said, and this is a quote, "Kids will be kids." He went on to say, kids deal drugs, use drugs, and engage in prostitution. It was a freak accident.

I'm sorry but that doesn't do it for me. Why is it that parents just throw up their hands and pretend they don't have any influence over their children? Why aren't parents willing to parent anymore? It's a tough job. And I admit it, there are somedays I could just walk away. But somebody has to do it. Children can't parent themselves.

I tell my kids, "I'm not your friend. I'm you mother." And I mean it. I am in a position of authority. I'm one of the two people on this earth that you are guarenteed will correct you, praise you, and love you. But as a parent, if I don't teach and show them right from wrong, WHO WILL?

Kids today have enough friends. What they need are parents. Parents who make them pick up after themselves. Parents who give them chores. The fact that they are apart of a family, means they have jobs to do. I tell my kids, when I became a mom the word MAID was not automatically branded onto my forehead. And if I didn't play with the crayons then I'm not putting them away.

Of course, this leads to a messier than I like house. But eventually the mess gets picked up by little hands. Especially if the owners of those little hands would like to do something else.

Yes, kids should be kids.

Kids who pick up after themselves.
Kids who do their best at school and at home.
Kids who share.
Kids who care about others as well as themselves.
Kids who play board games instead of video games.
Kids who read.
Kids who color.
Kids who have their friends over to play.
Kids who ride their bikes.
Kids who help out at home.

Kids will be kids, when parents start being parents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My phrase is "Who's the Queen" a meaning what I say goes and there will be punishment for doing something bad.
Its not just the parents who want to "friends" its those who treat kids like pets, just feeding and clothing them and expecting everyone esle to raise them that makes me shiver in pity for the kids.

Idiot Cook said...

Once again, another piece you should send off to The Tab or MWDN. Loving all these daily musings, PTC.

xoxo,
FC