Thursday, July 05, 2007

Nana's clock

"When she wakes up, she'll think it's tomorrow, and want breakfast."
"She will?"
"Yeah, whether she naps for ten minutes or an hour, it's the same."

When my Nana was older and napping more and more, whenever she would wake up, she'd ask for breakfast. For me, the casual visitor, it was cute. And we had a few extra coffees as I told her, "No, it's still today." And we'd laugh about her clock being reset to morning, regardless of the time of day.

Good memories, regardless of the circumstance.

Having the 4th of July on a Wednesday, was like having a mini weekend, or a nap. For this morning when I woke up I thought it was Monday and proceeded to pick up where my last Monday cleaning had stopped. Instead of going out to the garden to water or weed, I washed the kitchen, bathroom and mudroom floors, before emptying the dishwasher, and vacuuming the living room. All the while, I was thinking about Nana and her clock. And maybe if I'm lucky, I'll grow up to be just like her.

All the best, to you Nana. And when I wake up, will you be there to greet me? Holding a cup of coffee. Hope so.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I absolutely did the same thing this morning. I thought it was time to put out the trash.