Saturday, October 13, 2007

Baking a Pie

Our church is having a pie baking contest this weekend. Okay, it's a parish picnic inclusive of a pie baking contest. We're going to bake a pie or two or three... I'm making a shoo fly pie. The last time I made one of these was on a family vacation in Florida. It won't win, but it'll bring me back to a time when our family was a bit more whole. Even without closing my eyes, I see their faces, and in my heart remember how much they liked it. A pie made out of ingredients found in someone else's house.

She, whose birthday is today, wants to bake a lemon meringue. The middle one is looking for yet another flavor to be named later; almost like a professional sports draft pick. The ringer, the one who will bring it all home to momma. It would be nice if they won. Me, I'm beyond the lure of the contest and participate to be part of the greater community. For all pies, the winners and the losers, make up the dessert table.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday "7" to the Lemon Meringue Pie maker!!!! One of Grandpa B.'s favorites. Have fun together. What kind did the 9 yr. old decide on? Apple, pumpkin, squash, mince? so many choices all delicious.

Love, Nana and Grandpa