Sunday, November 11, 2007

Part 24

"Mom," said Sarah, "can I have an ice cream?"

"What," added Sam, "Charlie took us for ribs, not 2 hours ago."

"I want ice cream, too. Mommy, can I have some?" asked Lovie.

Charlotte smiled, "I guess ribs just don't stick your your ribs like they used to. Sure, I'll take you down to the cafe."

"Are you sure you can go?" asked Sam. "After all you're a patient here too."

It was true. Every hour on the hour a nurse came in and took her vitals. She had fainted. Who wouldn't faint at the site of their daughter going into cardiac arrest? But it was the fainting and the oddities in the ultra sound that sent up the warnings. When this thing with Jenny was cleared up, then she'd have time to deal with the new baby.

"I'll just walk them down to the kitchen. We won't be gone long."

Sam kissed his wife generously on the forehead as she headed for the door. Don't be long. Charlie gave her a warm pat on the back and suggested she take her time. After all she hadn't been out of Jenny's room for over 12 hours. "Or has it been more?" he asked.

Heading down the hallway, Charlotte looked over her shoulder and said, "More."

In the cafe the girls opted for ice cream sandwiches. The three of them sat in a booth in the corner, and Charlotte listened to her girls tell tales of their sleepover and road trip for dinner. Then Sarah asked, "Will you be home tonight?"

"I doubt it. I'm a patient, remember? And Jenny might wake up. I want to be there."

"But what about us?" asked Lovie, with chocolate cookie all stuck to her teeth.

"You'll be fine with daddy. And maybe Uncle Charlie will stay over too."

"But we want you."

Charlotte smiled. It was nice to be wanted. "I'm sure everything will be back to normal soon." Then she added, "Hurry up so we can go back to your sister."

The sandwiches gone, they made their way back to ICU. As they rounded the corner they could hear commotion. It was Jenny screaming, "I want my mommy. I want my mommy."

Charlotte picked up the pace, leaving Sarah to walk with Lovie. And as she walked into Jenny's room, her daughter, pointing with her previously paralyzed hand shouted, "You're never here for me. It's always them. You don't love me."

No comments: