Monday, November 26, 2007

Part 59

The girls tucked under blankets, snuggled up with their grandparents, Sam and Charlotte stole away into the kitchen.

Sleepily Lovie called after them, "Mom, can we have popcorn?"

Leaning into her husband, Charlotte answered back, "In a minute."

Sam laughed, and reaching up into the cabinet behind him pulled out a package of microwaveable popcorn. "Did you really mean in a minute?" he asked.

His wife smirked. "Well maybe ten minutes."

"Then I won't wrestle you off my other arm so I can get into the microwave." Changing the subject he asked, "Are you okay?"

Charlotte glanced away for a second before answering. "Yeah, I am. I'm glad my folks came home. Not just for me and the baby, but for Jenny, Sarah and Lovie. It will be hard when my mother's health deteriorates, but for now they are here. It's these days they will remember."

"Mom," it was Lovie again. "The popcorn; I starving."

"We'll be right here."

(20413)

No comments: