Friday, November 23, 2007

Part 54

"I'm sorry Charlotte, but the baby's measurements are still indicative of a problem with chromosome 18."

How could this be, with the good news wave they had been riding? "Are you sure doctor?"

Dr. Houseman looked to Sam, and then to Charlotte. "I wish I could tell you differently. Maybe things will change, but I don't have a whole lot of faith on this one... I'm sorry."

Tears leaked down both Charlotte's and Sam's face.

Then writing on her records the doctor said, "We'll continue to do the ultrasounds."

"Okay, we'll be back in two weeks," said Sam.

"Oh, I won't see you before?"

Charlotte's face wrinkled with puzzlement. "What?"

"Well, I probably have said too much..."

"You might as well finish saying it," added Sam as he continued to hold his wife's hand.

"It's your mother. She came to see me this morning." Then glancing down at his desk he continued, "Maybe you should go home and talk with her."

(19197)

No comments: