Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Part 30

As Charlotte stepped into the dressing area of the hospital shower, the look on her teen's face could've curdled milk. "What?" she asked trying not to sound annoyed, but failing.

"Your stomach," the even more than annoyed Sarah whined.

Charlotte looked down and it was rounding to say the least. Trying to play it down, she shrugged her shoulders and finished drying off.

"Well?"

"Well, what?" replied Charlotte.

"Mom," Sarah squealed, "you're pregnant."

"It would seem so." Was this really the place to have this discussion? Obviously, to Sarah it was.
Still standing there half naked in front of her daughter made Charlotte feel very vulnerable. Quickly to even the score, she finished getting dressed and then sat down next to her daughter.

"Look, having another baby wasn't something your father and I were actively seeking to do."

"Mom," interrupted Sarah, "I know how babies are made. I know just how active you and dad have been." Then turning her back to Charlotte she said, "It's disgusting, my own parents. I'll never be able to show my face around school for as long as I live."

Now Charlotte saw the whole picture. No one ever thinks their parents still do the dirty. And now, everyone would know that these 40 somethings were still playing between the sheets. She put her hand on Sarah's shoulder, Sweetheart, I think more often than not, your friend's parents are still sexually active."

Not turning around, Sarah sputtered, "They are, but not with each other."

"What?"

The teen sighed. Charlotte knew she was in for another life lesson. "No one's parents who are still married do it MOM; except obviously you and dad. But Joey's 'rents are splitting and Dave saw Joey's dad going into some lady's apartment on West 11th and .... Katie saw Mrs. Didnot coming out of the Motel 7 about a month ago."

"Don't spread rumors," interrupted Charlotte. "She could've been looking into a reservation for out of town guests."

Disgusted, Sarah used the tone, "Mom, I'm not stupid. No one puts family or friends up at the Motel 7."

She was probably right. Then taking a breath, Charlotte stated,"Sweetheart, sex is a perfectly wonderful way for two mature, adults, read not teenagers, to enjoy each other's company. It's more than just a physical act. It's an emotion bond. And I'm happy that your father and I still share that."

Picking up her mother's damp towel, Sarah headed for the door. "Well my jury is still out."

(10,706... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....)

No comments: