Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Bro' Was Right!

Last Fall when I went to start my motorcycle after a few weeks of not riding, it wouldn't start. We put the battery on the charger, we checked the gas; still nothing. All winter it sat. All winter I worried. Would it start in the Spring? Would I need to bring it to the shop? Was this serious?

In January, during the thaw, I tried recharging the battery and pulled the bike out to try again. Still nothing. Oh it would crank, but nothing after that. "Maybe it needs a warmer day," was my husband's advice. Maybe, was my hope.

A few days ago, my bro commented, "When the sap stopping running, it'll be time for your bike to start." The sugaring season over, I contemplated his words and my husband's January consultation, as I waited for a warm, wind-free day. Today, I pulled the bike out and left it in the sun. I put the battery back on the charger. And after dinner, with the help of the man put the bike back together and after a few cranks she turned over. Like a drowning man being handed a life line, I breathed a sigh of relief. I'll be riding again.

I took her for a spin. Feet and hands in sync with the cycles of the pistons, as if that is all they have ever known.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro would love to have started it and off he would go!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It is only right that the owner have the first spin of the new year. Be safe, have fun and remember to make sure the drivers around you know you are there! I want to ride beside you some day.

God Bless,
Bro

P.H. said...

You will Bro; you will.