Monday, September 29, 2008

Chairs and Cares

Today was a busy day for chairs and cares. Chair because I helped Mrs. D. reupholster two of her dining room chairs. We pulled staples. Laid out the material. Centered the seats, cut and stapled. Two done; four to go. We chatted; attempting to solve world problems and contemplated the end of the world.

Later I stormed around town getting donations for our next church event, a talk on making our homes more energy efficient, and then secondly on private and federal fuel assistance programs. With the rising costs of heating oil, food and prescriptions, how are people, especially the elderly, going to manage the winter? The task is a tough one. I got a lot of smiles, and promises to get back to me. But I danced out of Stop & Shop after collecting a donation of 24 boxes of cereal. You might ask what is the advantage of 24 boxes of cereal over a gift card? A gift card is given to one family. Twenty four boxes of cereal can give a meal or two to 24 families.

When I visited Lowes I mentioned that a case of window plastic sheeting would be great. Much better than a gift card. The manager smiled and said he would get back to me. At another store the owner mentioned business was terrible due to a summer's worth of road construction right outside his door. Not to be detered I offered to take a coupon off his hands. "I'll drive business your way. Give a coupon for $5 off on a $10 purchase." The owner said he would think about it.

In this business of gathering donations, it really is a sharing of favors.

The talk is November 9th. So, I'll be on the prowl for donations until then. Putting together gift packages for those in attendance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go, PTCakes!