Saturday, September 27, 2008

Comfort foods for a comfortable day

My mom turns 70 on Monday. I could ask that familiar question: Where did the time go? for I remember when she was 29 and my dad was 30, and they were old then. Now I'm brushing up against 50. And that sing song little kid tattle tale of, "I know you are, but what am I?" is ringing through my head.

Also chiming in between my ears, is a take off of that other more adult saying of, "I must have money in my account. I still have checks left." But for me it says, "I must be young, I still have dreams that I'm chasing." Along with young children...

Mom, if you're reading... spoiler ahead....

For her birthday dinner here, tomorrow we are having comfort food. Recipes, tried and true, brought down through the ages. No cake but an Indian pudding cozied up next to some hermits, smothered with vanilla pudding. And maybe we will eat dessert first.. before the stuffed meatloaf, mashed potatoes and squash with maple syrup. The bro is bringing antipasto. Just typing that word conjures up visions of my Italian grandparents' kitchen. I can almost taste the marinated artichoke hearts and hard crusty Italian bread.

We will be at least 11, maybe as many as 15 here sitting around tables shared between the kitchen and dining room, but there will be more represented in the foods we eat, and the memories we share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a better way to turn seventy than by being with the people who love you!! Thanks..I love you too. Mom

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to your Mom! I hope she has a lovely time - the menu is perfect!