Thursday, October 09, 2008

Memories Revisted

My first memory is of being pushed in a stroller past a campground bathroom where planted along the outside walls was a bank of wild roses.

Then over twenty years ago, on a road trip through Cape Cod my grandfather turned into Nickerson State Park and I knew I had been there before. Oh I had heard stories of playing at the lake shore beach for hours, but deep inside I knew I had been there and asked, "Is there a bathroom here with wild roses planted next to it?" From somewhere towards the front of the station wagon came the reply, "There might be."

That day, we toured all the old favorite family camp sites and sure enough there was the origin of my first memory. Strange it was a bathroom in a campground. But I suspect as a baby I had been parked there a few too many times by one parent or another while they took my sister or themselves to the facilities.

And now this weekend, we are going back there. I haven't been camping there for over forty years, but I've walked the bike trail almost annually for the past ten or so; every Thanksgiving. I can't wait to revisit the memories of my past.

No comments: