Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Uniforms

At the middle school Revolution the questions, "Who is your favorite team?" and "What is your uniform?" were posed. The priest pointed out to three boys wearing Patriots t shirts and the crowd went crazy. For we all wear clothing that represent that which is near and dear to our hearts.

We are not a huge sport house. We don't have Red Sox or Patriots shirts, but there is a home team that is near and dear. I, for one, love my totally worn out Goofy sweatshirt. Worn out to the point of being holey and in need of replacement, but I still wear it. And then there are my sneakers with the Mickey Mouse croc button -- used to fill in the hole made by a backyard campfire ember.

My girls wear Mickey Mouse and Goofy Santa hats. And the middle one just had to have the Mickey Mouse fleece snuggly... you get the picture... but back to the point.

After Mass, the speaker had some CDs, tshirts and hats with the word: Catholic embroidered across the front, for sale. The little one zeroed in on the hats: her favorite color, yellow, was represented and asked, "Can I have it?"

"Sure," was my answer. And an order was placed for one. Her sister heard of the acquisition and then the order was up to two hats, one red an done yellow, and then I thought, why not -- and we acquired three. All the while my thoughts are on our uniform. Will these hats actually get worn?

Will we be just as happy to promote our faith as we promote our love for the Mouse and friends? Is it easier to be Goofy rather than Catholic?

No comments: