Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Visit

"Hi Nana!"
Vacant.
"I brought coffee and some pictures."
Vacant.
"Look at the girls. Haven't they grown?"
"Do I know you?"
"Yes, I'm Sonny's daughter."
Vacant.
"Do you like Ri-Ah's dance picture?"
Vacant.
"Lola rides the bus to school."
Vacant.
"Maddielou has shot up like a weed."
A light....
"Do you remember the girls?"
Vacant.
Do you remember Dean?"
"My brother."
"Yes, and Angie?"
"My sister."
"I can't remember your other sister's name."
"It's Margie. She's rich."
"Good for her. I remember Great Grandma Pagano."
"She was my mother. She was fat."
"It happens."
"That lady there is fat. And when she comes over
here I'm going to stick my tongue out at her."
"Nana, she seems so nice."
Vacant.
"I remember sitting on your porch with Aunt Angie."
"Yes, Angie would come over and we'd sit."
"The breeze was lovely."
"And drink lemonade."
"And Grandpa's tomatoes."
"They were so big and fat. Not fat like that one."
"But probably just as sweet."
"You like her?"
"I don't know her really. But she seems very nice."
"I won't give her any of my whiskey."
"Nana, I didn't know you drank."
Vacant.
Lunch time.
"I'll see you again soon."
Vacant.
I drove home. Vacant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad when this happens, as it did with my Iggy's grandfather and my grandmother. I worried that I scared my maternal grandmother the last time I saw her because why would a stranger kiss her?

DawnApril said...

I agree. It's hard. Once they get to a certain point, beyond the realization that the mind is on holiday, it's only hard on those of us left behind.

Idiot Cook said...

Poignant piece, PtCakes.