Thursday, April 26, 2007

Reading Forever Yours

The little ones have Mystery Readers once a week in their classrooms. At the beginning of the year I signed up for two or three days, to come in unannounced, (to the children) and read. I did it twice in early November and now again, yesterday.

But what to read? The whole school is working on improving their writing skills, so I figured I would bring in my book.

My first day back in November, I got the question, "What are all the cross outs for?"

"I'm still editing." I hold up the pen in my right hand.

"How many times have you rewritten your book?"

"Not including the individual chapter rewrites, before I completed the entire book, this is my eleventh time."

Waves of gasps, as if I'm a ghost myself rise up from the class. These children still think whatever they put down on paper, the first time, is a go. Complete. Ready for publication. I wish I shared their confidence. But that's a blog for another day.

When I returned to the Mystery Reader chair yesterday, happy hoots and hollers filled the room. I smiled.

"Do you remember who Sarah is?"

Twenty hands go up. "She's the little girl."

"And Charles?"

"He's the caretaker."

"Good, let's start from when Sarah is home alone and Melody comes over. Who is Melody?"

Another sea of hands to choose from. "She's the girl Sarah met on the first day."

As I read I am amazed by what they remember. Amazed and delighted. They actually like my story. They actually remember my story, and it's been months.

The twenty minutes allotted to read flies by. They ask for just two more minutes, please. Ms. Wonderful agrees,"But that's it!"

"Can Mrs. Ptcakes come back later today?"

Ms. Wonderful looks at me, and offers, "Maybe toward the end of the year Mrs. Ptcakes can come back a few times and finish."

"I'd love to."

Cheers erupt, and I'm happy. I love reading to these children.

--

Back home I putting on the computer the final round of edits suggested by the Nobscot Niblets. And even as I read through the changes, I find myself making even more. It's amazing, all the edits, all of Sarah's mood swings, all the fun reading to a group of euthusiastic children can be.

Whatever the outcome. Whatever the publishing record, Forever Yours is rewarding unto itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHOO HOOO!
You got kudos from your target audience -- that is great!