Thursday, August 30, 2007

Second Chances


Two years ago, my little Janey Appleseed started an apple orchard in pots. As time has gone by her orchard was pruned down from a dozen spindly trees to five fairly healthy ones. To the point where I had to admit, yes, you can grow an apple tree from a seed.
Her pride and joy was the biggest and the best looking out of the bunch. Proudly showing it to anyone who came within ten feet of our house. Even I was having visions of an orchard in our backyard. Then we went on vacation.
Or I should say, then we returned from vacation. For as I walked up the stairs to unlock the door, I saw the deck littered with brittle brown apple leaves. I was in as much a case of shock as a person can be over a potted plant. Our little orchard king was dry, leafless. While next to it, his buddy was still fully dressed in green. What happen? The trees offered no answers.
I ran into the house, grabbed a glass of water and administered the only first aid I know to a plant. Later that night, well after bedtime, Janey came to my bedside. "Mom, I think my tree is dead," she whispered.
"I know. I saw. But I watered it anyway."
I thought she was about to cry. "Me too."
The next day, a bit more normal for sleeping in my own bed, I tested the plants "deadness" by trying to break off an end of one of its branches. The plant still had pliability. There might be some life left in the sapling afterall. I poured on more water.
Later on Janey noticed there were bumps on her tree. (Leaf buds to those who have some botanical experience.) "Do you think it's still alive?" she asked.
I didn't want to make any promises. "It could be." And as she gave it more water, I thought, if this plant survives it's going to need a bigger pot.
Three days later, the kitchen door burst open to the sounds of a major stampede. "MOM, leaves, there are leaves... my tree."
Her little tree is back. And I'm reminded that even when things don't look good, with a little faith, hope, love, and in this case, water there are second chances. Never lose hope.
And we're skipping the bigger pot idea. Our orchard king and his friends are getting a nice spots in the backyard. I'm having visions again.

1 comment:

Idiot Cook said...

Send this to Suburban Diary, please. Actually, forget the "please"--this is an order.

Damn, woman. You're good.