Monday, August 27, 2007

A swirling to-do list


As we get ready for the start of school in two days, (GASP!), we are also preparing for three, (Count them...one, two, three) trips. And as I wonder if I should just get a permanent forwarding address, deep down I know it's no joking matter.

The first is our annual family camping trip. Last year, a hurricane blew through our site, and we lost our kitchen set up and screen house. No one hurt. It made for a good story. This year's trip will face a worse foe. The knowledge that my father in law is dying. So, while some of the northeast contingent gathers around the campfire, he's walking the final few miles in Florida. He just found out. We just found out. And I'm seeing my Grandfather's face the day before he passed away.

I woke up this morning, with a headache.
The list banging from one temple to the next.

Find the math and reading logs.
When was the last time we flew anywhere?
Air out the sleeping bags
Make a shopping list
Did I use travelocity?
Find the camp fuel, check the batteries
When is the best time to pull the girls out of school?
Make ice for the coolers.
Forget convenient; do it!
I haven't seen their school shoes all summer. Do they even fit?
Pull out the camping supplies. Don't forget dish towels and clothes.
Add matches.
Pick out a first day outfit.
Make a hotel reservation.
Wash out the lunch boxes.
Rent a car.
Pack up the backpacks with glue sticks, tissues, hand soap, pencils and a notebook.
Pack for cool weather -- winter hats for everyone.
Pack for hot weather -- should I bring the bathing suits?

Press the funeral clothes...

1 comment:

Idiot Cook said...

Oh, man. So sorry to hear about this, PtCakes. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

xoxo,
RB