Friday, December 30, 2011

Our Girl


It's no secret that I love my job, but this week I received confirmation that my job loves me. For when I walked into my clients' apartment, from the bedroom I heard, "Our girl is here." To which the reply came, "Well tell her to come in."

Lately, ten times out of ten my shift starts with a bedside chat. Mostly in English; more and more in Italian dialect. And this week, the good morning routine has gone from greeting, to Italian to music. I can't play the piano, but I can read music, so from the 8 inches of stacked sheet music I find a song from which I can pick out the melody line on the keyboard. Yesterday, I few measures in, the query came from the bed, "Is that Bill Bailey you're trying to play?"

"Yes, can you tell -- really?" was my reply.

"Yes," to which the singing ensued.

We sang and laughed all morning. Which begs the question, "Who gets the most out of my going to work?"

No comments: