Sunday, June 24, 2007

Empty Pew Syndrome

Last night, all under the age of 16, in this household, were participating in sleepovers. This morning, I went to church alone. Through out the Mass there were no fights to settle. No one climbed up on my lap. No one argued over who could sit on my right, and who was on my left. I didn't have to tell anyone to kneel or stand. I didn't have to remind anyone to listen or to stop touching their sister. My hands didn't rub anyone's back or hold anyone's small hand. Honestly, I didn't know what to do with all that calmness. It was unsettling. I even asked Mr. S. to pick at fight with the woman next to us. Just so I could feel more at church. He laughed. He smiled. But he wouldn't fight.

I did get to ride my motorcycle to church. That part was wonderful.

No comments: