Friday, June 01, 2007

Walking in slippers

Yesterday, as I drove to meet my walking companions, the rain was coming down in wet gusts. I wondered if I should bag it, and go food shopping. There wasn't much besides the half empty bottle of old catsup and a gallon of milk in the refrigerator. I'd been out straight with things to do. Shopping had taken the way back seat. How could I be heading out this morning for myself? How could I go for a walk?

Feeling more than a bit guilty, I drove on to the meeting spot.

"Should we go?" my friend queried.

I was handed my out, and replied, "Well, I do need to go shopping, and do some GS business, and ...." The list went from there.

"Let's wait and see what happens, just a few minutes. Maybe it will clear." We stood around, under cover, and talked town business, as usual. Mid conversation, I looked up and the rain had stopped. The question: To walk or not to walk was put forth again, and with nods of agreement we were off.

"I need to show you that ladyslipper," he went on.

It had been a few years since I'd seen one and I was looking forward to it. And as we crowned a small hill, on the left was a bloom. "It's beautiful" I gushed. "Is this the one?"

"No! and I've walked this trail practically every morning, and never saw that one."

And then there was another, and then another, and another. I thought to start counting, but we had passed so many, and each time, commented on its beautiful color or daintiness, that I didn't want to start an inaccurate count.

For slipper-lined miles, we noticed the blooms were nestled in soft pine needle beds, and hypothesized that they liked acidic soil. I found myself relaxing more, and more, the further we walked. The sound system dilemma was no longer front and center. The soft pink slippers were all I was thinking about. Them and the occasional thought required when discussing light topics like, cooking dinner for one verses five, have-a-heart traps, or fertilizing a vegetable garden.

That gentle walk was just what I needed. The soft rain moistened trail under foot. No mp3 player to keep my feet moving, just shared conversation and the hope of seeing pink slippers. And as I drove off to squeeze in a surgical strike at the market, in the quiet of the car, I heard, "See, you're not so tired anymore."

"Thank you."

3 comments:

Ms. Zuba said...

I have never seen a ladyslipper. Now I want to....

Anonymous said...

PTC, you are an essay FACTORY!
Can't believe how you can find and write interesting topics so readily.

Kris said...

Ladyslippers are the official flower of Prince Edward Island... and they do prefer acidic soil. We have them in abundance up at our place in Maine and one of these days I'll photograph them.