Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Reading Group


Last night was the first meeting of the middle one's summer reading group. They are reading the Nancy Drew Mystery, The Bungalow Mystery.

The summer kick-off was last Friday when we saw the new Nancy Drew Movie together. I took it as a good sign, when they all had excellent behaviour. They sat, paid attention, and didn't throw food at the screen.

And last night, after making Mapleton Mikeshakes, a recipe from my childhood Nancy Drew cookbook, we discussed Chapters 1 through 4, looked up the word embezzlement in the dictionary, and then each girl took turns reading pages from Chapter 5. After each page I asked questions about word meanings, the plot, and if they had any predictions, etc... The hour flew by.

Next week, it's make another recipe out of the cookbook while discussing Chapters 5 - 8, and then more reading aloud. I was surprised they all wanted to read. When I was there age, I hated to read out loud. (A secret I will never tell them.)

My goals are to keep the girls reading during the summer, and to forge tighter bonds between them. They are all great kids, and I've noticed that great kids stay great when they have a solid group of great friends. And when food is involved... it's a done deal.

No comments: